Have you been seriously hurt in a car accident in Kansas City, MO? You are not alone. Kansas City is the largest city in Missouri, with more than 500,000 residents. It also has more car accidents than any other city in the state.
The following Kansas City car accident statistics offer insight into how and why motor vehicle accidents happen in the city. These statistics come from the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Missouri Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the Kansas City Police Department.
If you have been involved in a car accident, the Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to help you. Contact our law firm at (816) 408-3448 for a free case review with a Kansas City car accident lawyer to discuss your case.
Table of Contents
How Our Law Firm Can Help After a Car Accident in Kansas City, MO
You should not be forced to fight insurance companies for fair compensation after an accident. Unfortunately, that is the position many accident victims find themselves in. You deserve an experienced Kansas City car accident lawyer committed to protecting your best interests and fighting for the compensation you need.
Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers was founded by E. Ryan Bradley who began his 20-year legal career as an insurance defense attorney. He brings this insight into insurance company tactics to every case. A member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Bradley has recovered some of Missouri’s largest jury awards and settlements for his clients.
Here is how we can help you:
- Provide legal advice you can depend on
- Handle communications and administrative tasks
- Investigate your case to build evidence and identify liable parties
- Accurately value all your damages
- Work with experts as needed for expert testimony proving causation and your damages
- Negotiate on your behalf for a fair settlement
- Present a compelling case to a jury if your case goes to trial
Do not let an insurance company undervalue your claim or unfairly blame you. Our law office in Kansas City, MO, will give you the legal representation you deserve. Contact Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers today for a free case review with a Kansas City car accident lawyer dedicated to helping you.
Kansas City Car Accident Statistics
Kansas City police have reported the following hot spots for traffic accidents:
- I-435 & Holmes Rd
- I-70 & I-435
- 75th St & Bruce Watkins Dr
- Bannister Rd & I-435
- I-470 & Blue Ridge Blvd
- 55th & Bruce Watkins Dr
- Front St & I-435
- Front St & I-35
- Red Bridge Rd & 71 Highway
- I-435 & Wornall Rd
There were more than 157,000 traffic accidents in Missouri in 2019. These accidents caused 881 fatalities and over 55,000 injuries.
Kansas City has more car accidents than any other city in Missouri. It had nearly 20,500 car accidents in 2019, causing 79 fatalities and more than 8,700 injuries.
How Common Are Fatal Car Accidents in Kansas City, MO?
In 2019, there were 75 fatal car accidents in Kansas City alone, compared to 5,830 personal injury collisions. Of these, 14 involved pedestrians, 8 involved commercial vehicles, and 12 involved motorcyclists. In total, these accidents killed 79 people.
There was a 12% increase in the number of traffic fatalities in Missouri in 2020 — despite the COVID-19 pandemic. There were 126 pedestrian fatalities in 2020, an unprecedented number.
In May 2021, Kansas City police reported that crashes were up again but fatalities were down. During the first five months of 2021, there were 5,778 car accidents in Kansas City but only 22 fatal accidents.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Kansas City?
Trucks account for about 4% of vehicles on the road, but they are involved in 14% of fatal crashes. When a truck accident causes death or serious injury, it is usually the occupants of a passenger vehicle who are hurt.
Between 2016 and 2018, Kansas City saw 86 truck accidents with serious injuries and 29 accidents that caused fatalities.
How Many Car Accidents in Kansas City Involve Distracted Driving?
The Missouri Coalition for Roadway Safety reports distracted driving and cell phone-related crashes have increased 30% in the state. Four hundred fatalities in Missouri between 2016 and 2020 involved a distracted driver. Sixteen of these occurred in Jackson County, including Kansas City.
What Are the Most Common Factors in Kansas City Traffic Accidents?
The Kansas City Regional Transportation Safety Blueprint is an in-depth study of traffic accidents between 2013 and 2017.
Most crashes had more than one factor. The study found the most common were:
- Lane departure: 70% of all accidents, with 725 fatalities and 3,547 serious injuries
- Collision with a fixed object: 51% of accidents, with 534 fatalities and 2,763 serious injuries
- Unrestrained occupant: 41% of accidents, with 435 fatalities and 2,432 serious injuries
- Aggressive driving: 41% of accidents with, 431 fatalities and 1,828 serious injuries
- Young driver: 33% of accidents, with 345 fatalities and 3,114 serious injuries
- Drugged or drunk driving: 31% of accidents, with 321 fatalities and 1,500 serious injuries
- Horizontal curves: 23% of accidents, with 246 fatalities and 1,384 serious injuries
- Intersections: 21% of accidents, with 220 fatalities and 524 serious injuries
- Unlicensed driver: 21% of accidents, with 216 fatalities and 1,137 serious injuries
- Distracted driving: 16% of accidents, with 163 fatalities and 1,048 serious injuries
This study sheds light on how most accidents occur and important factors associated with higher injury and death rates.
How Many Car Accidents Involve Drunk Driving?
Between 2013 and 2017, impaired driving was a factor in about 31% of accidents in Kansas City. In 2019, the Missouri State Highway Patrol reported 822 crashes related to drugged or drunk driving in Jackson County. This included 442 accidents with property damage only, 372 personal injury crashes, and eight fatal accidents.
In Kansas City, these drunk driving accidents caused 361 injuries and seven deaths in 2019.
Contact a Kansas City Car Crash Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Have you been seriously injured in a car accident or lost a loved one in a fatal crash? Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help you hold the responsible party accountable.