Rear-end crashes in Kansas City, MO, are often treated as “minor fender benders” by insurance companies. Our Kansas City car accident lawyers at Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers know differently. We have seen firsthand the devastation and damages caused by rear-end accidents.
Don’t let an insurance adjuster convince you that your car accident claim is not worth more money. Our personal injury attorneys have over 30 years of experience fighting to recover fair compensation for accident victims. Let us do the same for you.
How Our Kansas City Car Accident Lawyers Help Injured Victims Recover the Money They Deserve
Since 2002, our law firm has recovered millions of dollars in judgments and settlements for our clients. Our firm has considerable resources to investigate and pursue car accident claims. The Kansas City car accident lawyers at Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers are highly skilled trial lawyers and aggressive and persuasive negotiators.
When you hire our awarding-winning legal team at Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the rear-end crash to determine how it occurred and gather evidence proving fault
- Deal with the insurance company so that you do not need to talk with claims adjusters or insurance investigators
- Filing insurance claims and monitoring the statute of limitations for filing lawsuits
- Document your damages to calculate the correct value of your personal injury claim
- Work with medical specialists, accident reconstructionists, and other expert witnesses
- Negotiate a settlement that compensates you for your injuries and losses
- Vigorously advocates for you in court if a lawsuit is necessary to protect your best interests
We are here for you when you need trusted legal advice and counsel. Call now to schedule your free consultation with one of our car accident attorneys in Kansas City, Missouri.
How Common Are Rear-End Accidents in Missouri?
Rear-end crashes are one of the most common types of automobile accidents.
The NHTSA reported over 5.2 million traffic crashes in 2020. Over 1.4 million, or 27.8%, of the crashes that year were rear-end accidents. That made rear-end collisions the most common type of crash by the first harmful event that year.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported 105,136 traffic crashes statewide in 2021. Front-to-rear (rear-end) crashes totaled 39,995 or 38.04%. Rear-end crashes were the most common type of car accident in Missouri in 2021.
Is the Rear Driver Always At Fault for a Rear-End Crash in Kansas City?
Following too closely increases the risk of an accident. Drivers have a duty of care to follow at a safe distance so they have time to stop to avoid a crash. In most cases, the rear driver is at-fault for a rear-end crash.
However, there are instances in which the front driver could be partially to blame or entirely at fault for the cause of the crash. If so, the front driver’s compensation for damages would be reduced by their level of fault under Missouri’s pure comparative fault law. For example, if a jury found the front driver to be 30% at fault, the driver would receive 30% less than the jury awarded for damages.
Common Causes of Rear-End Crashes in Kansas City
Driver mistakes and negligence are the most common cause of rear-end car accidents. Common factors that contribute to the cause of rear-end car accidents include:
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Failing to use turn signals
- Driving under the influence
- Road rage and aggressive driving
- Drowsy driving
- Texting while driving and other forms of distracted driving
You must prove that the driver breached the duty of care by failing to stop before colliding with your car. You must also prove that the breach of duty caused your injuries and damages to recover compensation for damages.
Rear-End Accidents Can Cause Severe Injuries
Injuries sustained in rear-end car crashes include:
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Back injuries, including herniated discs and disc fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Chest injuries
- Injury or damage to internal organs
- Airbag and seatbelt injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Whiplash and neck injuries are very common injuries caused by rear-end crashes. A neck injury can cause chronic pain and limited range of motion. Many cases of whiplash heal in a few weeks, but some neck injuries can cause permanent impairments.
What Damages Can You Recover for a Rear-End Crash?
If the other driver caused the crash, you could seek compensation for your economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include the monetary losses you incurred, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Help with household chores
- Personal care
- Long-term nursing care
- Diminished earning potential
You may also receive compensation for your physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering. Other non-economic damages include scarring, a decrease in your quality of life, and permanent impairments.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Kansas City Car Crash Lawyers
We want to help you receive a fair settlement for your car accident claim. Call now to schedule a free consultation with one of our Kansas City rear-end crash lawyers.