Should I Call 911 After a Car Accident in Kansas City?

If you were recently involved in a car accident, you might have many questions: How did this happen? What should I do next? Should I call 911 after a car accident in Kansas City, MO? Should I hire a car accident lawyer? 

We know that collisions can be frightening and confusing. We can help answer these questions and provide you with assistance during this trying time in your life. 

Duty To Report a Car Accident in Kansas City, Missouri

The Missouri Department of Revenue says that you must report a car accident to the Missouri Driver License Bureau if the accident:

  • Occurred less than a year ago;
  • Involved an uninsured motorist; and
  • Caused property damage exceeding $500, someone was injured, or someone was killed.

Accidents that do not involve all of these factors can still be reported. Additionally, the Missouri Department of Revenue recommends calling 911 after a crash. 

Reasons To Call 911 After a Car Accident 

Here are a few reasons why it might be a good idea to call 911 after an accident in Kansas City:

Get Medical Help

When you call 911, you can request an ambulance if you or anyone else was injured in the accident. Emergency medical providers can respond to the scene, help stabilize you, and safely transport you to the nearest medical facility. This treatment could be life-saving or prevent you from suffering further injuries.

Get an Accident Report

A law enforcement officer can also respond to the scene of the accident and conduct a brief investigation into the accident and how it was caused. 

An accident report may contain important information, such as:

  • The exact location of the accident
  • Road and weather conditions at the time of the collision
  • A diagram of the vehicle’s positions
  • The other driver’s name and contact information
  • A cursory determination of how the accident occurred
  • Whether the other driver was cited
  • Statements the other driver and/or witnesses made

Additionally, having an accident report can help you establish that an accident occurred in the first place, in case the other driver or their insurance company tries to deny this fact.

Learn If Criminal Activity Was Involved

The law enforcement officer may be able to tell you if criminal activity was involved in the accident, such as if the at-fault driver was drunk or drugged. This information may help you prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident and, therefore, responsible for the damages you sustained. 

The Insurance Company May Require a Report

Your insurance company or the insurance company that covers the at-fault driver may require an accident report. Calling 911 will provide the first step toward obtaining this documentation. Police may respond to the scene and prepare a report. Ask the responding officer how to get a copy of the report. Follow these instructions and then give the insurance company a copy.

You Can Inform Your Doctor

The accident report may help provide information that can help your doctor treat you. If your doctor can see information about the accident, such as the speed the vehicles were traveling, the point of impact, and other factors that could help describe your injuries, your doctor can provide better treatment for you. 

Contact a Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer for Help Filing a Claim

If you need personalized legal assistance or advice following a car accident, contact an experienced Kansas City car accident attorney for help.

For more information, please contact Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers at your nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.

St. Louis Office
1430 Washington Ave Suite #226 St. Louis, MO 63103
(314) 400-0000

Kansas City Office
1509 NE Parvin Rd, Suite A., Kansas City, MO 64116
(816) 408-3448

Or if you would prefer to reach out to us online, please visit our contact us page.