When Should I Hire a Kansas City Personal Injury Attorney?
Ryan Bradley | October 26, 2023 | Personal Injury
The moments following a personal injury, be it a car accident or medical malpractice, can be overwhelming. You’re faced with medical bills, lost income, and emotional trauma. One crucial question that arises is, “When should I hire a personal injury attorney?”
The answer can have a significant impact on your case. This blog post aims to guide you through the process, emphasizing why timing and making informed decisions are critical.
Why Timing Matters: The Importance of Acting Quickly
If you get hurt, you need to act fast. The time limit to get compensation through a lawsuit starts ticking as soon as you are injured. You need to get proof, see a doctor, and fill out papers quickly.
Waiting too long can make it hard to prove what happened to you, and you might not be able to get money to help you. You need to act fast to protect yourself.
Finding the Right Representation: Choosing a Kansas City Personal Injury Lawyer
When you get hurt and need a lawyer to help you, it’s important to pick the right one. In Kansas City, you need a lawyer who knows the rules and laws for injured people in Missouri. You should look for a lawyer who knows how to help people with the kind of injury you have, who has won other cases, and who people say is good.
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid attorney’s fees if they obtain compensation for you. A good lawyer will also talk to you for free to see if they can help you.
What To Expect: The Personal Injury Legal Process in Kansas City
After choosing a qualified Kansas City personal injury attorney, the legal process begins. While each case is unique, there are some general steps to expect:
- Initial Consultation: Discuss the details of your case with your attorney to determine its value.
- Investigation: Your attorney will gather evidence to build a strong case.
- Insurance Claims Process (if applicable): Most personal injury cases start off as insurance claims. However, if your attorney and the insurance company cannot agree to a settlement, it may become necessary to bring the case to court.
- Filing a Lawsuit: Your lawyer will file the necessary paperwork to start a lawsuit.
- Discovery: Both sides exchange information and evidence during this phase. It often includes depositions, interrogatories, and document requests.
- Negotiation: Your attorney will negotiate with the defendant’s legal team to reach a fair settlement. If unsuccessful, the case goes to trial.
- Trial: A jury or judge will evaluate the evidence and make a determination on liability and damages.
- Appeal: If you disagree with the trial outcome, your attorney can file an appeal, though this is generally a lengthy process
- Settlement or Award: If you win the case, you’ll receive compensation either through a settlement or a court-awarded sum.
Remember, the process can be complicated and lengthy, particularly if your case goes to court. A skilled Kansas City personal injury lawyer will guide you through each step, helping to alleviate the stress that comes with navigating the legal system.
Key Factors That Affect Your Personal Injury Settlement in Kansas City
While every personal injury case is unique, several factors can influence the amount you might expect to receive in a settlement:
- Severity of Injuries: More serious injuries generally lead to higher settlement amounts, especially if they result in long-term or permanent disability.
- Medical Expenses: The cost of medical care—both current and future—plays a significant role in determining your settlement amount.
- Loss of Income: If you’re unable to work due to your injuries, lost wages can be factored into the settlement.
- Pain and Suffering: This non-economic damage is subjective but can substantially increase your settlement.
- Liability: The clearer it is that the defendant is at fault, the stronger your negotiating position.
- Quality of Legal Representation: Skilled legal counsel can not only build a stronger case but also negotiate more effectively on your behalf.
- Evidence: Having evidence like medical reports and eyewitness accounts will help you higher settlement in a case. It’s important to present evidence in a clear and concise manner to ensure it is easily understood.
- Venue: Believe it or not, the location where the trial takes place can impact the settlement amount. Some jurisdictions are more favorable to plaintiffs, while others lean toward defendants.
To get the best result with your Kansas City personal injury attorney, it’s important to know what matters. This knowledge will help you manage expectations and work together with your lawyer. Remember, clear communication and understanding are key to success.
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm For Help Today
For more information, please contact Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers at your nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
St. Louis Office
1430 Washington Ave Suite #226 St. Louis, MO 63103
Kansas City Office
1509 NE Parvin Rd, Suite A., Kansas City, MO 64116
Or if you would prefer to reach out to us online, please visit our contact us page.