Were you injured in a fishing boat accident in St. Louis, Missouri? Did someone else cause or contribute to the incident? You may be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party for your medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma.
A St. Louis boating accident attorney from Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers is here to fight for a fair financial recovery. Since we opened our doors in 2002, we’ve tirelessly advocated for injured people throughout Missouri. In that time, we’ve acquired over $70 million for our clients, allowing them to recover from their financial losses and suffering.
Contact us at (314) 400-0000 or contact our compassionate legal team online. We offer a free consultation to discuss your fishing boat accident and explain your options.
How Our St. Louis Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Fishing Boat Accident
Missouri offers many places to fish, including the Lake of the Ozarks, Creve Coeur Lake, and Horseshoe Lake – and there are over 290,000 registered recreational boats in the state. Accidents are bound to happen with so many vessels on the water, turning a fishing venture into a nightmare.
Even if the boat accident was clearly not your fault, it can be difficult to get compensated for the full extent of your losses. That’s why an experienced St. Louis boating accident lawyer can be your best ally.
If you hire Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers for help after a fishing boat accident in St. Louis, MO, we’ll:
- Determine what caused your boat accident and coordinate with the Missouri State Highway Patrol or any other agency that may have investigated the incident
- Gather evidence proving causation, liability, and the value of your damages
- Handle every aspect of your case, keeping you informed and aware of the status
- Negotiate with insurance companies and other parties and work towards a favorable settlement
- Represent you in court if the opposing party fails to settle in good faith
Contact our personal injury lawyers in St. Louis to learn more about our legal services and the advantage of creating an attorney-client relationship.
How Common Are Fishing Boat Accidents in Missouri?
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP), in 2021, there were 195 statewide boat accidents. They caused 28 fatalities and 74 injuries.
Out of the accidents reported, 15 vessels were involved in fishing at the time of the crash. The fishing boat accidents caused three deaths and five injuries.
What Causes Fishing Boat Accidents in Missouri?
The MSHP reports the following as the most common causes of boating accidents in the state:
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Rough water conditions, such as strong currents and choppy waves
- Boat operator inattention
- Boat operator inexperience
- Failure to take evasive action
- Operating too close to another vessel
- A hazard in the water
- Operating the boat at excessive speeds
- Mechanical failure or equipment failure (e.g., bilge pump, lights, etc.)
- Boating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Unfortunately, many St. Louis watercraft accidents happen due to the negligence of boaters, passengers, and others sharing the waterways (e.g., kayakers, jet skiers, and swimmers). However, they can also result from defective boat parts or equipment and sudden changes in the weather.
No matter how your fishing boat accident happened or who caused it, our St. Louis personal injury attorneys are here to help. Contact our law firm to learn more.
What Types of Compensation Can I Get If I’m Injured in a St. Louis Fishing Boat Accident?
Victims of fishing boat accidents can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party and pursue economic and non-economic damages.
Damages in a boat accident case could include:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical costs, such as physical therapy, ongoing medical treatment, and nursing care
- Lost income and employment benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Reasonable and necessary out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Permanent disability
- Loss of companionship
Contact our boat accident attorneys in St. Louis to learn more about the compensation you may be entitled to seek. We’ll help you identify and value your losses and fight for the financial recovery you deserve.
How Long Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Fishing Boat Accident in Missouri?
Most personal injury lawsuits in Missouri must be filed within five years of the boating accident. If you tragically lost a family member in a fatal boat accident, you have three years from their date of death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
There could be exceptions to these statutes of limitations that give you less time. If you miss the applicable deadline, you’ll lose your right to file a claim against the at-fault party. Therefore, it’s essential to speak with an experienced St. Louis boat accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our St. Louis Fishing Boat Accident Lawyers
If you were hurt in a fishing boat accident in St. Louis, MO, you may be able to hold the negligent party financially responsible for your losses. An experienced legal advocate from Bradley Law Personal Injury Lawyers will help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact our law office today for a free initial consultation with a skilled St. Louis boat accident attorney. We’ll discuss your watercraft accident, explain your legal options, and answer any questions you have.